If, by any chance, you find hard-boiled eggs lying around your kitchen today, you can use them to make a delicious spinach salad. Coincidentally, this salad tastes amazing with leftover ham.
Spinach Salad with Hard-Boiled Eggs
- 1 pound baby spinach leaves
- 2 or 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, grated
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup olive oil
- 3 T dijon mustard
- 3 T honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
- Clean the spinach leaves, pat them dry, then chill in the refrigerator. Toss together the mushrooms, eggs, and onions in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Mince the garlic finely and soak it in the vinegar for five minutes.
- Add the honey, mustard, and seasonings to the vinegar, and whisk together.
- While whisking constantly, add the olive oil to the vinegar mix in a steady stream until you have a smooth emulsion.
- Gently toss a generous portion of the dressing with the egg, mushrooms, and onions. Then gently toss in the spinach leaves until they are coated. Taste to see if you like the amount of dressing, and adjust, if necessary. If you accidentally added too much dressing for your taste, throw in some extra spinach and toss well.
Serves 8 – 10.